Monday 6 October 2014

Pumpkin Spice Paintings


         It's that time of year again where the leaves are full of magic, the air is crisp, and pumpkin spice is finally in season again! I wanted to give my toddlers an invitation to paint, but since they love to EAT EVERYTHING I knew I had to make it edible. And because I knew they were going to be eating it, I decided to make it Pumpkin Spice flavored so not only would it smell delicious, but taste delicious.

RECIPE

1 Cup flour
1 1/2 Cup water
1/3 Cup sugar
1 tsp. vinegar
pumpkin pie spice
(cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc)
food coloring (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl and stir until mixed well. If you want to make different colors just separate the paint before adding food coloring. I didn't measure the spices, just added what I thought was enough. 

As soon as I brought the bowls into the room "my babies" sat down at the table to see what I had for them. I was surprised to see them actually dipping their paint brushes in the bowl and painting it on their papers! 

But just as i expected the paint brushes quickly turned into spoons and they began eating the paint... They started kicking their feet and saying "mmmmmm" with every taste. After it was all gone there were some tears, and they tried eating it off their papers! (I guess we can say this recipe is toddler approved!) 

I was very happy with how this invitation turned out; easy to make, easy to clean up, age appropriate for all children, and smells delicious! I look forward to making some more soon and letting the preschoolers try it out and see what they think! 

                                                      - Leslie Dionne 






No comments:

Post a Comment